Monday, February 14, 2011

Retro Indie

           Happy Valentines Day.



Seeing as I haven't written a blog since my rant about the new Tron film, I figured it was time to do so.

I have other, lengthier blogs in the works, but in the meantime I thought I'd post a nice, simple one.



Starting yesterday (and completed this morning) I made a 2-Disc Mixtape (I like the contradiction there...let's still call them mixtapes).

If anyone wants a copy of these CD's, just ask me. Message me here, on FB, or e-mail me at oblterate@gmail.com and I'd be happy to get one to you! 

The theme is Retro Indie music; music that is by modern bands but sounds like a throwback to another decade. This mixtape mainly consists of songs that sound like they could have come out in the 60's or 70's era of bubblegum pop, psychadelic rock, or bachelor pad music. However, there are a few songs that are more of a throwback to 50's and early 60's doo-wop rock & roll, and one or two that are more late 70's funk.

I'd like to do an entire double-disc mixtape just for modern indie bands doing late 70's and 80's power pop and synth-funk throwback. There's only a little taste of that on these CD's.

The 2-part mixtape is comprised of 40 songs and 17 different groups, with Stereolab, Camura Obscura, The Clientele, and The Walkmen dominating the list.

Stereolab



Camera Obscura



I believe that Stereolab is god of this genre, however, The Clientele and Camera Obscura are both 2nd place. They have made an entire career out of this beautiful, retro sound.











The Clientele








In my opinion, Camera Obscura and 
The Clientele are a perfect match...if they were a girl and a boy, respectively, they would live happily ever after. They should totally tour together; I'd go out of my way to see that tour.




I spent some time with the track order flow, giving good, lengthy instrumental breaks between groupings of lyrical and melodic tracks. My favourite section is the first 7 songs of Part 2: These songs break my heart. Jennifer and Julia by The Clientele and James by Camera Obscura are perfect companions as far as lost love and broken hearts are concerned. I Love You by The Bees is my all time favourite love song.

Part 1 starts and ends with 2 different versions of my favourite song by one of my all time favourite bands, Stereolab. The song is "Naught More Terrific Than Man".

Part 2, although it begins with lovesick, brokenhearted, emotional, beautiful mellow and soothing tracks, it picks up halfway through and transitions into more upbeat tracks, eventually leading to wonderful, classic Indie rock anthems that I believe have a grounding in 60's pop/rock: Wake Up by The Arcade Fire and Last Night by The Strokes.

Here's a track listing of the 2 albums.

Retro Indie Part 1:

Retro Indie Part 2:









Well, that's how I've spent my first few hours of the day!

If you don't have any of this music, download it, or, if you know me, I'll gladly make you a copy. It's all very good stuff.

-Blakestone



1 comment: