Saturday, October 9, 2010

The 15th

I think Alex started this? I'm very late in doing it.
 
The idea is, in fifteen minutes, to come up with fifteen albums that have had some sort of profound impact on you, and to place them hereabouts in the form of a note, titled using the number 15 (as a song title, I assume?)

DISCLAIMER: I did not mention The Walkmen because my love affair with them involves every one of their albums. It's not fair just to pick one...but You & Me would probably be the album....We've Been Had, the song.

1. Midlake-Bamnan and Slivercork/Van Occupanther.
Bamnan...Completely in love with that sound....what I wanted to sound like forever for a while. Never gets old.

Van Occupanther...this album grew on my like a disease. I'm completely engrossed in it, still. I was expecting Banman but I got something deeper. I adore this album. So much. It's the ultimate 70's folk rock album of all time.

2. Talking Heads-Speaking in Tongues
Able to listen to/dance to this album for weeks straight. Probably my favourite album ever.

3. The Beach Boys - Today!
B Side is the most beautiful Beach Boys music in the world. Absolutely gorgeous and melancholy Brian Wilson ballads. Quite often, I like to put this record on and sing along to every word from start to finish. Most played band in my last.fm account since 2006.

4. Yes - Close to the Edge
Changed my life. Haven't been able to stop listening to this for a large portion of my life. It grows on me more every listen...and I'm probably on listen 500 now.

5. Stereolab - Dots and Loops
Listening to it right now. 2nd most played band in my last.fm account since 2006, and probably mostly because of this album. Space Age Bachelor Pad Music....bouncy, fun, exciting, loungy, perfect. This album consistently sounds fresh to me.

6. Styx - The Grand Illusion
Because. It made me me.

7. Weezer - The Blue Album
Because I haven't been able to stop loving this album since childhood, and because no matter how disgusting and terrible and nasty and ungodly and putrid and fecal Weezer's music has become, it can't stop me from loving their debut.

8. Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
Changed my life in high school. Dark Side of Oz....done it 3 times....beautiful. This album is timeless, and mind blowing.

9. Fleet Floxes - Fleet Floxes
Because just listen to it.

10. Parliament - Mothership Connection
Probably in my top 5 of all time. Like Talking Heads, Beach Boys and Stereolab, Parliament is a band I am always in the mood for, that I never, ever tire of. I can put it on at any given time and be in the mood for it. This album particularly. Obsessed with it. "DO NOT ATTEMPT TO ADJUST YOUR RADIO".

11. Tortoise - TNT
Everything I said for Dots and Loops as far as constantly listening to that album....same here. I can't get enough of this album...again, I feel that it is always fresh, like every time I listen to it is the first time.

12. Grandaddy - Sumday
One of the most under-rated albums of all time. I adore EVERY SONG on this album. It is so bleak but optimistic, so honest and simple yet frightening and complex. It means so much to me. Invokes wonderful memories of snow and mountains, as do Midlake and Fleet Foxes.

13. The Futureheads - The Futureheads
The best, most aggressive, energetic, honest, authentic post-punk revival album of all time. They started it all. I can sing along to every song at the top of my lungs; it's exhausting, but somehow when I get to Man Ray and it's all over...it's been totally worth it. I love to drive down Texas highways, roll down the windows and shout along to this fascinating band.

14. Man Man - Six Demon Bag
When this album is on, my energy automatically rises 100%...which can be quite frightening on any given day when my energy is already quite high. Best live show I've ever seen...twice. And I've seen quite a lot. At their shows....I lose it. Both times, I danced insanely from start to finish, screaming along with them. It possesses me. Ask Sunil. He was there.

15. Broken Social Scene - Feel Good Lost
My most listened to album of all time according to Last.Fm and iTunes. You can do anything with this album.
It's perfect for any occasion.



There are so many albums I didn't mention...(Chromeo, M83, Explosions in the Sky, Octopus Project, Radiohead, Iron & Wine, Hot Chip, Grizzly Bear, Mew, Aphex Twin....So many, but these came to mind first.

Favourites not mentioned: Mew - And the Glass Handed Kites, Grizzly Bear - Veckatamist, Octopus Project - all of them, M83 - Dead Cities, etc., The Cranberries - No Need to Argue, Hot Chip - The Warning,  and more and more and more and more.


No comments:

Post a Comment